Friday, June 8, 2012

Experience.

Wow! What a week this has been. This week definitely tops the internship so far.
On Monday I had to work and work and work on the drawings for the hotel. The presentation was coming up fast!
Then Tuesday I had to work so hard to get those drawings done. I had 3 floor plans and 10 different elevations. I had to get them done so I could go to Long Island! I was able to get them done thank goodness. So then Vicente and I took the private car out to Long Island. It was about a 40 minute drive. I was so scared. I was just praying that I could get Vicente to talk about something so I wouldn't have to say much and embarrass my self! So we sit in the car and he asks, "Any questions?" I freaked out! I asked some random question about what we were going to Long Island for and off he went. Then whenever he would get done talking about the topic he would ask me for another question. Crazy! So then we arrived at the clients house for the installation. That is where the entire project comes together. All the furniture, wall coverings, and accessories fall into place. Then you have a finished room! It was incredible to see the transformation. What a great experience!!
Then On wednesday was the big presentation for the hotel!! I was so nervous. I didn't have to do anything, but still! So there was the client and he had like he reps and financial guys and all 8 of the crowded around the conference table with Vicente, David (his other designer), and me. Vicente is a pro! He was explaining everything. He was laying out plans and elevations and showing materials and explaining how he solved the problems. And then the client stopped him mid presenting and said he didn't like the way it was going and how the picture was so much bigger. Basically this guy was full of himself and crazy. Everyone else liked it and apparently Vicente just wasn't presenting right for him. So weird. But it was great to see a real client presentation!
Then Thursday I worked on one of their other projects. This is a residence in Florida and its going for a Bali design. So they are importing lots of furniture from there. Cool! So we are still getting the plans done and I had to call all the places that we needed more samples of all the materials in the house. Lots of phone calls! I was super nervous, but the designers said I did a great job. Whew! And I went to lunch with a friend!! Another intern there and I went to Applebees and she is from Georgia and so so nice. It was fun to have someone my age and in my situation to talk to!
Then Friday was one crazy morning! I had to meet David over at 75th St. and Central Park West. This is prime property for NY. But I had to make 2 subway transfers to get there and it was so scary! But I got there without getting lost and 10 minutes early! Booya! The building we went to was the one that you can see through central park on the east side  with the 2 huge towers coming out of it. Amazing! The lobby was gorgeous! We went up to the 6th floor to an apartment. It was pretty big! 3 bedrooms, kitchen, library/den, tiny sun room, a living room, and a long gallery/entry. It was actually pretty outdated looking and the floors were so old and creaky. So I was surprised to find out that this apartment runs for 5 million dollars!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT! I was blown away! A whole house back home isn't close to that! I could buy and incredible house in the Virgin Islands for that! Why live in NY? No idea. So we had to measure the entire apartment to get everything correct for the plans that I had to draw up. It was great experience. So then the rest of the day I drew up the plans for this apartment!

It was a pretty busy week I would say! I got to do so many great things. Plus now I am half way done! Whoo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment